Extension to Delta Rule already studied before?

pmr@di.fc.ul.pt pmr at di.fc.ul.pt
Tue Jun 29 04:21:37 EDT 2004

Dear connectionists,

while working on my Ph.D. thesis, I've been using neural nets that apply
the 'Delta Rule'. Nevertheless, for some instances of the problems I've been
addressing, the 'Delta Rule' does not seem appropriate: it promotes weights
that do not differ substantially. While trying to overcome this property, I've
came across the following rule:

w_ij = w_ij + a_i * (t_j - a_j) * LR * w_ij

where...
   w_ij - weight of the connection from input neuron i to output neuron j
   a_i  - activity of input neuron i
   t_j  - target activity for output unit j
   a_j  - activity of output neuron j
   LR   - learning rate

Has this learning rule been studied before? Are there references ?

Many thanks for your attention,
kind regards,
pedro