Seeking neural-net programmer or postdoc for memory models.

Mark A. Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Thu Apr 22 09:58:55 EDT 2004

JOB OPENING FOR PROGRAMMER/RA or POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW

Pending final approval of funding, we expect to hire  for a position
to start in the fall (Sept/October 2004) for a full-time
computational modeler to do neural network models of the hippocampus
and memory.

Note: The applicant must currently reside in the US or Europe.

The scope of work would be split evenly between two related projects:
(1) working on Artificial Intelligence applications of hippocampal
models to various problems in pattern recognition and novelty
detection, (2) extending and elaborating our past models of
cortico-hippocampal function (Gluck & Myers, 1993, 2001) to include
greater physiological detail, temporal sensitivities, and connections
with other brain region (that is, basic computational neuroscience
research). All this modeling would take place in the context of a
broader program of research that is tightly linked to empirical
studies of the neural bases of animal learning (through lesion and
recording studies), as well as cognitive neuroscience studies of
human learning and memory using fMRI and clinical populations.

See our web page below for more information on past modeling efforts
and empirical research from our lab.

This position could either be for a full-time salaried
programmer/research assistant  (e.g., someone with a BA or MS) or it
could be configured as a postdoctoral fellowship for someone who has
a PhD.

Strong prior neural net modeling and programming experience is a
must. Familiarity with memory models and memory research highly
preferred. Strong English language writing and communication skills
are essential.

We are located in Newark, NJ, just outside New York City.

If interested, please (1) read through our web page and research
overviews and publication summary at http://www.gluck.edu, and then
(2) email a raw text (no attachments) message that summarizes your
background, relevant experience, future goals, and how and why you
think you are a good fit for our lab and this position, especially
with regard to the criteria noted above. In addition, please state
your current citizenship  or residency status and whether or not you
have appropriate work permits for the US if you are not a US citizen.

- Mark

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Professor
   Co-Director, Rutgers Memory Disorders Project
Center for Molecular  and Behavioral Neuroscience
Rutgers University                                 Phone:  (973) 353-1080 x3221
197 University Ave.                                    Fax:  (973) 353-1272
Newark, New Jersey  07102                   Email:  gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu

   Lab:  http://www.gluck.edu
   Memory Loss & Brain Newsletter: http://www.memorylossonline.com