Reminder, Calls for Papers

David Smith dsmith06 at maine.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 09:42:17 EDT 2004

CALL FOR PAPERS

LANGUAGE, COGNITIVE SCIENCE AND EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY
October 22-23, 2004
Portland, Maine

The New England Institute for Cognitive Science and Evolutionary
Psychology (NEI) invites papers for an historic international conference
on Language, Cognitive Science and Evolutionary Psychology, bringing
together scholars and researchers from all over the world to share
theories and research on the evolution and cognitive dynamics of
language. The conference will have a strong interdisciplinary flavor,
drawing on work in psychology, evolutionary biology, neuroscience,
linguistics, philosophy, anthropology and other disciplines to explore
the nature and origins of human language. We plan to publish selected
papers, either in book form or in a special issue of a scientific
journal.
Proposals should be received no later than April 25th 2004.
To find out more about the New England Institute visit our web site at
www.une.edu/nei
Send detailed proposals along with brief biographical information to the
conference committee at TheInstitute at une.edu

EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY AND THE CENTRAL PROBLEMS OF COGNITIVE SCIENCE
This is to announce a call for submissions for a special issue of the
journal Theoria et Historia Scientiarum on evolutionary biology and the
central problems of cognitive science. I am particularly interested in
receiving papers addressing how evolutionary thinking can help cognitive
science, broadly construed, to overcome fundamental theoretical
problems. Pertinent issues and areas include the nature of
consciousness, neurocomputational architectures, innateness, semantics,
and social cognition, to name but a few.
Theoria et Historia Scientiarum is an international scientific journal
for interdisciplinary studies published by Nicolas Copernicus University
in Torun, Poland. Topics of recent special issues have included:
* Metaphor: A Multidisciplinary Approach
* On Knowledge, Representations and Interpretations: From Quanta to
Cultures
* Analogy
* Embodiment and Awareness: Perspectives from Phenomenology and
Cognitive Science
* Unconscious Perception and Communication: Psychoanalytic, Cognitive
and Evolutionary Perspectives.
* Conceptualization and Categorization in Language and Thought
* Signs, Minds and Cognitions

September 1, 2004 is the final deadline for papers to be included in
issue on Evolutionary Biology and the Central Problems of Cognitive
Science. Please initially send me a brief outline of the projected
paper.