book announcement--Arbib

David Weininger dgw at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 17 16:34:13 EST 2003

I thought readers of the Connectionists List might be interested in this
book.  For more information, please visit http://mitpress.mit.edu/0262011972/
 Thank you!

Best,
David

The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks
second edition
edited by Michael A. Arbib

Dramatically updating and extending the first edition, published in 1995, the
second edition of The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks presents
the enormous progress made in recent years in the many subfields related to
the two great questions: How does the brain work? and, How can we build
intelligent machines?

Once again, the heart of the book is a set of almost 300 articles covering
the whole spectrum of topics in brain theory and neural networks. The first
two parts of the book, prepared by Michael Arbib, are designed to help
readers orient themselves in this wealth of material. Part I provides general
background on brain modeling and on both biological and artificial neural
networks. Part II consists of "Road Maps" to help readers steer through
articles in part III on specific topics of interest. The articles in part III
are written so as to be accessible to readers of diverse backgrounds. They
are cross-referenced and provide lists of pointers to Road Maps, background
material, and related reading.

The second edition greatly increases the coverage of models of fundamental
neurobiology, cognitive neuroscience, and neural network approaches to
language. It contains 287 articles, compared to the 266 in the first edition.
Articles on topics from the first edition have been updated by the original
authors or written anew by new authors, and there are 106 articles on new
topics.

Michael A. Arbib is University Professor; Fletcher Jones Professor of
Computer Science; and Professor of Neuroscience, Biomedical Engineering,
Electrical Engineering, and Psychology at the University of Southern
California.

8 1/2 x 11, 1,344 pp., 1,000 illus., cloth, ISBN 0-262-01197-2

A Bradford Book

David Weininger
Associate Publicist
The MIT Press