Cognitive Science Society Virtual Colloquium

Art Markman markman at psyvax.psy.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 18 10:13:53 EST 2003

The Cognitive Science Society is hosting a 2002-2003 virtual colloquium
series presented live via the Internet, with the with the fourth talk given
by Dr. John Anderson. Register now to attend:
www.ctaresource.com/CognitiveScience.

Time: Friday February 28, 2003
1:00pm US Eastern Standard Time

Presenter: Dr. John Anderson
Carnegie Mellon University, Department of Psychology

Topic: Use of a Cognitive Architecture and fMRI to Mutually inform Each
Other or A Tale of Three Buffers

We will describe the interaction between cognitive modeling and brain
imaging.  Two fMRI studies will be described.  The first was concerned with
the solution of algebraic equations. We tried to relate the brain regions
discovered to components of a prior ACT-R model that had been developed.  A
left posterior parietal region corresponded to the behavior of a module in
ACT-R that maintains an image of the equation and performs mental
transformations on it.  A left prefrontal region corresponded to the
behavior of a module that retrieves relevant information such as arithmetic
facts.  A left motor region corresponded to the behavior of module that
programs hand movements. We will describe how we were able to fit precisely
the BOLD functions obtained from these regions given the operation of the
ACT-R model. To show that these regions were not specific to mathematics and
to turn our model-fitting exercise from postdiction to prediction we
performed a second study using a more abstract symbol-manipulation task. The
model fits were equally good if not better, although we had to adjust our a
priori rehearsal assumptions. The second study identified an anterior
cingulate particle whose behavior appears to correspond to the conflict
resolution process in ACT-R. This research illustrates profitable back and
forth that is possible between brain imaging and cognitive modeling. The
basic methodology can be applied to help shape any information processing
architecture, not just ACT-R.

Further information about this talk, the colloquium series, a schedule of
future talks, and an archive of previous talks are available at
http://www.cognitivesciencesociety.org/colloquium

Contact Janet Morrow, cta at aptima.com with any questions about registration
for this seminar.

Please forward this invitation to colleagues who would benefit from this
seminar or the series.

This series is sponsored by the Office of Naval Research.

Sincerely,
Art Markman
markman at psy.utexas.edu

Dr. Arthur B. Markman