Faculty Positions at OGI School of Science and Engineering

Melanie Mitchell mm at cse.ogi.edu
Thu Feb 6 14:43:48 EST 2003

I wanted to bring to your attention the following advertisement for
faculty recruitment at OGI.  Adaptive systems and machine learning is
one of our specific target areas for hiring.  OGI is putting
significant resources into building a strong and diverse Laboratory
for Adaptive Systems, and we expect to hire between two and four
people in this area within the next five years.  Our recent merger
with the Oregon Health & Science University has opened up great
opportunities for collaboration with researchers in biological and
medical sciences, and our close proximity to the OHSU Neurological
Sciences Institute has already resulted in collaborations
between our respective faculties in the fields of neural modeling and
neural computation.

OGI's current adaptive systems faculty includes:

Dan Hammerstrom: Biologically inspired computation, VLSI chip design,
neural networks

Marwan Jabri: Intelligent signal processing, biologically inspired
control for robotics

Todd Leen: Machine learning, local and mixture models,
neurophysiological modeling

Melanie Mitchell: Evolutionary computation, cognitive science, complex
systems

John Moody: Reinforcement learning, neural networks, time series
analysis, data mining, computational finance

Misha Pavel: Cognitive science, biologically inspired computation,
biomedical engineering

Xubo Song: Image processing, statistical pattern recognition

Eric Wan: Neural networks, adaptive signal processing and control

We are looking for outstanding individuals in any area of machine
learning or adaptive systems to join our faculty.  Please pass this on
to anyone you think might be interested.

Faculty Positions at the OGI School of Science and Engineering

The Department of Computer Science and Engineering invites
applications for faculty positions at all ranks.  The current
strengths of our department include graphics and visualization,
adaptive systems and machine learning, databases and data mining,
networking, programming languages, software systems, human-computer
interaction, spoken language systems, software engineering, control,
computer architecture, image processing, and applied formal methods
and verification of both hardware and software.  In addition to these
areas, our target areas for hiring include bioinformatics and
computational biology, security, mobile and embedded systems,
real-time and reactive systems, high-performance computing, vision,
robotics, and sensor fusion.  While these are particular areas of
interest, we will consider outstanding candidates in any area of
computer science and engineering.

Building on a shared commitment to excellence in graduate education
and research, Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
(OGI) merged with Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) on July 1,
2001. OGI now is the OGI School of Science and Engineering in the
re-named Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). The merger is
enabling the CSE department to expand in core disciplines and
establish strong interdisciplinary collaborations among researchers in
information technology, health care, biomedical engineering, and
environmental and biological sciences. Significant collaborations
between OGI and OHSU have existed for 30 years.

The typical teaching load in CSE is 2 graduate-level classes per
year. Faculty receive contracts of 2-5 years duration, renewable
annually with satisfactory academic performance. NSF, NIH and other
federal research sponsors recognize OGI faculty appointments as being
equivalent to tenured positions.

OGI is located 12 miles west of Portland, Oregon, in the heart of the
Silicon Forest. Portland's thriving high-tech community, extensive
cultural amenities and spectacular natural surroundings combine to
make the quality of life here extraordinary. To learn more about the
department, OGI, OHSU and Portland, please visit www.cse.ogi.edu.

To apply, send a brief description of your research interests, the
names of at least three references, and a curriculum vitae with a list
of publications to:

Chair, Recruiting Committee
OGI School of Science and Engineering at OHSU
20000 NW Walker Road
Beaverton, Oregon 97006

The email address for inquiries is:
csedept at cse.ogi.edu.

OGI/OHSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We
particularly welcome applications from women, minorities, and
individuals with disabilities.