Postdoctoral position at UMass: ML and text

Andrew McCallum mccallum at cs.umass.edu
Fri Dec 5 08:56:22 EST 2003

The following postdoc position is available.  If you are interested and
are planning to attend the NIPS conference in Vancouver (Dec 9-13)
please email me and we can arrange to meet there.

Sincerely,
Andrew McCallum

                       Postdoctoral Fellowship
                Machine Learning, Natural Language
              Information Extraction and Data Mining

                    Department of Computer Science
                 University of Massachusetts Amherst
                     http://www.cs.umass.edu

The UMass CS department is looking for an exceptional postdoc to work
in Machine Learning applied to Natural Language, Information
Extraction and Data Mining.

We are especially interested in people with expertise in statistical
machine learning, graphical models, Bayesian methods, approximate
inference, and kernel methods.  Previous experience applying these
techniques to problems in natural language is not necessary.  This is
an opportunity to exercise your machine-learning know-how on real data
and real problems.

UMass offers an attractive environment for research at the
intersection of machine learning and textual information---with
significant strength in information retrieval (Bruce Croft, James
Allan, R. Manmatha), machine learning (Andy Barto, Sridhar Mahadevan,
Paul Utgoff, David Jensen, Hava Seigelmann, David Kulp, Robbie Moll,
Andy Fagg), their intersection (Andrew McCallum), and other related
areas (Victor Lesser, Shlomo Zilberstein, Rod Grupen, Oliver Brock, Al
Hansen, and others).  We also have strong ties to our statistics
department, and other nearby universities.  We have large staff and
computing infrastructure to support significant projects that will
enable you to put a big feather in your cap.

Ranked among the top six AI groups in the U.S., UMass has an exciting
and highly collaborative CS department.  UMass CS will continue to
have a vibrant atmosphere, as we are expecting to hire 15 new faculty
in the coming few years.

Located in idyllic western New England, surrounded by five other
colleges, UMass is also within day-trip range of both Boston and New
York.

The University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer. Women and members of minority groups are
encouraged
to apply.
http://www.cs.umass.edu/csinfo/join_fac_staff/joinfaculty.html.

Prospective candidates should apply with a cover letter, CV, and names
and email addresses of 2-3 referees. This should be sent by email to:
jean at cs.umass.edu, preferably using plain text, Postscript or PDF
formats only.