new faculty positions at UC Irvine in machine learning and statistics

Padhraic Smyth smyth at ics.uci.edu
Wed Nov 6 23:48:09 EST 2002

Dear connectionists:
   The University of California, Irvine currently has open
faculty positions in both machine learning and statistics.
UCI has a very strong tradition in machine learning and AI and
continues to add new faculty in a number of related areas such as
bioinformatics, data mining, and computational statistics.
Current faculty in Computer Science with interests in these
areas include Pierre Baldi, Rina Dechter, David Eppstein,
Rick Granger, Dennis Kibler, Rick Lathrop, Eric Mjolsness,
Mike Pazzani, and Padhraic Smyth, as well as Hal Stern in
the Department of Statistics.

The open faculty positions are:

A. One faculty position in the Department of Information and
Computer Science in the area of Large Scale Data Analysis. We
encourage applications from a broad range of "data-driven"
research areas, such as machine learning, language modeling,
information extraction, bioinformatics, computational vision, etc.
For application details please see:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/about/jobs/faculty.php
The appointment may be made at the pre-tenure or tenured
level - applicants at both levels are encouraged to apply.

B. Two faculty positions in the newly-formed Department of
Statistics, one tenure-track and one tenured. See
http://www.stat.uci.edu/
for application information. The department was started this
year under new chair, Professor Hal Stern.

I strongly encourage readers of this list to apply for either
position if interested. Please feel free to contact me directly
if you have questions about either position. I would also be
happy to chat with prospective applicants at NIPS
if you would like to find out more about UCI in general - it
is a great place to do learning-related research and
you will probably like the weather as well :)

all the best

Padhraic Smyth