Use Cogprints!

Dan Dan
Thu May 30 12:16:24 EDT 2002

Dear fellow-members of this list,

This is a personal message to everyone of you. It is about making our
papers available to one another and to other people interested in
pragmatics.

As most of you probably know, there is an easy to use, free, electronic
self-archiving service, Cogprints, created by Stevan Harnad, where you
can archive your own papers, whether published or not, refereed or not,
and, where you can, of course, read or download the papers of others.

Cogprints has no competitor in its domain and is complementary to
academic institutions' electronic archives. It describes itself as
follows:

      CogPrints is a service to two consituencies:

      For AUTHORS, it provides a way to make their
      pre-refereeing preprints and their refereed, published
      reprints available to the world scholarly and scientific
      community on a scale that is impossible in paper.

      For READERS, it provides free worldwide access to the
      primary scholarly and scientific research literature on a
      scale that is likewise impossible in paper

      CogPrints is an electronic archive for papers in any area of
      Psychology, Neuroscience, and Linguistics, and many areas of
      Computer Science (e.g., artificial intelligence, robotics,
      vison, learning, speech, neural networks), Philosophy (e.g.,
      mind, language, knowledge, science, logic), Biology (e.g.,
      ethology, behavioral ecology, sociobiology, behaviour
      genetics, evolutionary theory), Medicine (e.g., Psychiatry,
      Neurology, human genetics, Imaging), Anthropology (e.g.,
      primatology, cognitive ethnology, archeology, paleontology),
      as well as any other portions of the physical, social and
      mathematical sciences that are pertinent to the study of
      cognition

It has a Pragmatics category with 45 archived papers at present, but I
am, I believe the only one from this list to have put papers there. Just
think of this: If all the researchers on this list would archive a copy
of their own papers (past, present and future) at Cogprints (whether or
not they are already archived at another institutional or personal site),
Francisco Yus' bibliographic service on RT would be complemented with a
de facto relevance theory archive. Moreover all our papers would reach a
larger readership and be easily accessible to everyone, researchers,
students etc. around the world.

So I beseech you, yes YOU, to START ARCHIVING YOUR PAPERS AT COGPRINTS
NOW!

Go to http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/ , look at the FAQ page
http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/faq.html and the help page
http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/help/ , register and start uploading!
(Once you have learnt the routine, which may take you a good half hour,
uploading a paper takes, in my experience, about 10 minutes.) I would
like to see dozens of RT papers there in the coming weeks, and soon
hundreds. Wouldn't you? Well, it is in YOUR hands.

Cheers, Dan

Dan Sperber
Institut Jean Nicod
http://www.institutnicod.org