neural computation-related textbooks

S. Becker becker at meitner.psychology.mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 6 21:11:26 EST 2002

Dear connectionists,
This message is directed to those of you who teach a course in neural
networks & related topics, or computational neuroscience or cognitive
science, and would like to exchange opinions on textbooks they are using.

I'd like to know the name of your course, who takes it (undergrad vs grad,
comp sci/eng vs psych/bio), what textbook you are using and what you
consider to be the pros and cons of this book.

I teach a course in neural computation to 3rd year undergrads, mostly CS
majors and some psych/biopsych, and have used James Anderson's book An
Introduction to Neural Networks a number of times. I like this book a lot
-- it is the only one I know of that is truly interdisciplinary  and
suitable for undergraduates -- but it is in need of updating.

I will post a summary of the replies I receive to connectionists.

cheers,
Sue

--
Sue Becker, Associate Professor  Department of Psychology, McMaster University
becker at mcmaster.ca               1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ont. L8S 4K1