Paper Available: Role of Experience & Oscillations in Transfomring a Rate Code into a Temporal Code

Mayank R Mehta mayank at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 26 18:00:53 EDT 2002

The following paper can be downloaded from my home page

http://www.mit.edu/~mayank

This is the final draft of a paper that has appeared in
Nature, 417, 741-746 (2002).

While precise spike timing is critical for synaptic plasticity, neither
the mechanism for generating a temporal code that establishes such precise
spike timing in vivo, nor the effect of experience on such a temporal code
have been established.  Here we propose a mechanism by which a temporal
code can be generated through an interaction between an asymmetric rate
code and oscillatory inhibition.  Consistent with the predictions of our
model the rate and temporal codes of hippocampal pyramidal neurons are
highly correlated. Furthermore, the temporal code becomes more robust with
experience. The resulting spike timing satisfies the temporal order
constraints of Hebbian learning. Thus, oscillations and receptive field
asymmetry may play a critical role in temporal sequence learning.

Apologies for cross-postings.

Cheers!

-Mayank

Mayank R. Mehta        | Email: Mayank at MIT.edu      |
E18-366, M.I.T.        | Phone: 617 252 1841        |
50 Ames  St.           | FAX: 617 452 4120          |
Cambridge, MA 02139    | http://www.mit.edu/~mayank |