Ph.D. thesis announcement: Infinite RAAM

Simon Levy levy at cs.brandeis.edu
Thu Jul 18 06:10:37 EDT 2002

Levy, Simon D. (2002). Infinite RAAM: Initial Investigations into a
Fractal Basis for Cognition. Ph.D. Thesis, Brandeis University, July 2002.

Abstract

This thesis attempts to provide an answer to the question ``What is the
mathematical basis of cognitive representations?'' The answer we present
is a novel connectionist framework called Infinite RAAM. We show how
this framework satisfies the cognitive requirements of systematicity,
compositionality, and scalable representational capacity, while also
exhibiting ``natural'' properties like learnability, generalization, and
inductive bias. The contributions of this work are twofold: First,
Infinite RAAM shows how connectionist models can exhibit infinite
competence for interesting cognitive domains like language. Second, our
attractor-based learning algorithm provides a way of learning structured
cognitive representations, with robust decoding and generalization. Both
results come from allowing the dynamics of the network to devise
emergent representations during learning. An appendix provides Matlab
code for the experiments described in the thesis.

Postscript: http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/papers/levythesis.ps
Gzipped: http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/papers/levythesis.ps.gz
PDF: http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/papers/levythesis.pdf