NIPS & double blind reviewing

Jay McClelland jlm at cnbc.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 17 20:16:01 EST 2002

For what it is worth, the American Psychological Association,
which publishes many journals, allows authors the option to submit
their papers 'blinded' if they choose, in case the authors
are concerned about bias.  I don't know the details on how
many papers are in fact submitted that way.  I occasionally
review for APA journals, and have never seen one that was
blinded.

My own opinion is that the prior record of the individuals
whose papers are being reviewed provides information that
on balance improves the review process.  Unfortunately there's no
doubt that bias is involved and worthy papers are sometimes
adversely affected.  The bias includes cultural standards of
evaluation that may not be objectively optimal along with
more specific biases based on reactions to the work of
particular individuals or labs.   It is difficult for blinding
to remove all of this sort of bias, and sometimes as others have
said author identity is still apparent.  As far as I can
tell these issues can only be addressed by keeping them in
mind and carefully considering them in the selection of
reviewers (and of course in selecting those who select the
reviewers!).  A reputation for fair and open mindedness
is a crucial consideration in editor/reviewer selection. Also,
those who have concerns should feel they have the opportunity
to have their concerns taken into consideration.

 -- Jay McClelland