NIPS & double blind reviewing

Olly Downs odowns at analyticalinsights.com
Tue Dec 17 17:29:42 EST 2002

I think what is being fought here, is the perception (and in fact
admission by one of this year's NIPS Program Committee Members) that in
some cases there has been bias against papers submitted by authors
affiliated with specific institutions.

John Lazzaro's point suggests bias in the opposite direction - does the
fact that Jan Hendrik Schon's name is known mean that his work has less
integrity than a previously unknown yet equally disreputable author?

I believe strongly that double-blind reviewing should be introduced at
NIPS.  At the same time John's point indicates how thorough reviewers
need to be, irrespective of whether they know who wrote the paper they
are reviewing, or not.

----

Oliver B. Downs
Analytical Insights, Inc. & Princeton University
http://www.analyticalinsights.com <http://www.analyticalinsights.com/>