Two new papers: ICA and Boosting

Trevor Hastie hastie at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 7 13:02:15 EDT 2002

 The following two papers have been posted to my web page at
http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~hastie/Papers/

a.. Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani. Independent Component Analysis
through Product Density Estimation (ps file).  A direct statistical
approach to ICA, using an attractive spline representation to model each
of the marginal densities.

b.. Saharon Rosset, Ji Zhu and Trevor Hastie. Boosting as a Regularized
Path to a Maximum Margin Classifier (ps file).  We show that a version of
boosting fits a model by optimizing a L1-penalized loss function. This
in turn shows that the corresponding versions of Adaboost and Logitboost
converge to an "L1" optimal separating hyperplane.

  Trevor Hastie                                  hastie at stanford.edu
  Professor, Department of Statistics, Stanford University
  Phone: (650) 725-2231 (Statistics)        Fax: (650) 725-8977
    (650) 498-5233 (Biostatistics)   Fax: (650) 725-6951
  address: room 104, Department of Statistics, Sequoia Hall
           390 Serra Mall, Stanford University, CA 94305-4065