Postdoctoral Positions

Dr Christian W Omlin omlin at cs.sun.ac.za
Tue Sep 18 09:14:34 EDT 2001

The Department of Computer Science at the University of the West-
ern Cape (South Africa) has identified the  area  of  intelligent
systems  as  one of its main research thrusts. We aim to position
ourselves to assume a national leadership role in  this  emerging
field.  In  order to further strengthen our research capacity, we
invite applications for

                  2 POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS

for an initial 1-year period in our  Intelligent  Systems  Group.
The appointment can be extended by an additional 2 years.

Areas of interest include but are not restricted to

       neural networks
       signal processing
       internet applications
       data mining
       intelligent networks
       intelligent agents
       computational learning theory

For  applicants  with research interests in bioinformatics, there
exist opportunities for collaboration with the South African  Na-
tional Bioinformatics Institute.

The  successful  candidates  may either pursue their own research
programmes or may participate in existing projects.

No teaching duties are expected from  the  postdoctoral  research
fellows;  however,  there  exists  the  opportunity  to supervise
MSc/PhD students or to give a postgraduate course  if  he/she  so
desires.

We  offer a competitive, tax-free stipend, a friendly atmosphere,
and state-of-the-art equipment. We encourage publication  of  re-
search  results and offer financial support for travel to confer-
ences.

The University of the Western Cape is located 20 minutes from the
center  of  cosmopolitan  Cape  Town which features scenic views,
sandy beaches, great opportunities for  outdoor  activities,  na-
tional  parks withs stunnning fauna and flora, and plenty of arts
and culture. We also have one of the most  pleasant  climates  in
the world with 300 days of sunshine and very mild winters. We are
also located 20 minutes from the heart of South Africa's wineland
where world-class wines are produced at numerous vinyards.

Please send your CV, a list of publications, copies of two repre-
sentative papers and a statement of your  research  interests  to
comlin at uwc.ac.za.  Also,  please  have 3 referees send letters of
recommendation to the same address. Deadline for applications  is
November 30, 2001.

Prof. Christian W. Omlin             Phone:  +27-21-959/3010/2967
Intelligent Systems Group            Fax:    +27-21-959-2577
Department of Computer Science       E-mail: comlin at uwc.ac.za
University of the Western Cape       URL: http://www.cs.uwc.ac.za
Bellville 7535 South Africa