Parallel Paper Submission

Sunny Bains sunny at sunnybains.com
Wed Nov 28 07:17:18 EST 2001

This may be an entirely off-the-wall comment, but
there is a possible solution that be able to be
imported from (believe it or not) the vagaries of
English property law.

It used to be that each potential buyer (the
journals) of a house (the paper) would have their
own separate survey (review) done for the
mortgaging companies. More recently, someone came
up with the idea (this is still experimental) of
having the buyer have their house surveyed
themselves (the surveying profession is
independent), and then give this report to any
potential buyers.

So, you could have a panel of reviewers who review
for many journals in the same field. If the author
  puts a list of all the journals he/she is
interested in, in order, then the reviewer can
make the appropriate comments...

(I have a very narrow experience of paper
publishing, so apologies if this is a naive
solution... I just thought it might be worth
suggesting).

Best,

Sunny Bains
Imperial College of Science and Technology