Parallel Paper Submission

rsun@cecs.missouri.edu rsun at cecs.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 27 23:36:02 EST 2001

  >From: "M. Imad Khan" <macgyver_99 at hotmail.com>
  >To: Jay McClelland <jlm at cnbc.cmu.edu>, connectionists at cs.cmu.edu
  >
  >What about publishing everything on the web and leave ALL kinds of paper
  >publications. There could be a section where "unpublished" papers are
  >published and the readers can cast votes as to "publish" them in the
  >published section. This way soemthing that is useful but not "published" can
  >be taken care of, while the normal people can act as reviewers and make the
  >status of "unpublished" change to "published" through their vote.

The opinions of experts should weigh a lot more than those of others ---
that's the only way to maintain quality and quality is absolutely critical
to scientific work.

How do we emphasize experts' opinions if we do away with peer reviews?
Even with peer reviews, we are constantly having difficulty in determining
who the experts are (whenever we go outside of (relatively) clearly delineated narrow areas).

--Ron

Prof. Ron Sun                           http://www.cecs.missouri.edu/~rsun
CECS Department                         phone: (573) 884-7662
University of Missouri-Columbia         fax:   (573) 882 8318
201 Engineering Building West
Columbia, MO 65211-2060                 email: rsun at cecs.missouri.edu

http://www.cecs.missouri.edu/~rsun
http://www.cecs.missouri.edu/~rsun/journal.html