Parallel Paper Submission

Douglas Rohde dr+ at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 27 20:16:12 EST 2001

I considered the idea of a submission pool, from which editors would
select papers they wished to publish, but decided against suggesting it
myself because I think it would seriously compromise the effectiveness
of the review process.

I think most of us would agree that the review process, however painful
for both the author and the reviewer, is nevertheless very useful for
identifying flaws in work that should not be published and, perhaps more
importantly, for improving good papers.

If you submitted a paper to the pool and journal A wanted to accept it
with major (and presumably justified) revisions and journal B wanted to
accept it with minor ones, would you spend the time to do the revisions,
or would you just go ahead and publish it in journal B as is?

In order to attract potentially good papers, the journal editors will
have incentive to suggest the fewest changes.  As a result, the quality
of the published papers will diminish.

And if you were asked to write a review for a paper from the pool, how
much effort would you put in if you knew the author may not even pay
attention to your review and could just ignore it and publish elsewhere?

In regards to Nicholas Swindale's suggestion, I can't imagine that the
"get your own reviewers" model could possibly work.  Would we be paying
the reviewers as well?  How many reviews can we solicit before choosing
the ones we want to send in?

Finally, I think the quality of the stuff coming out of Hollywood speaks
to the viability of the movie reviewer model.  Although I do think it
would be interesting to have a journal purely devoted to review of and
commentary on already published work in a particular field.

Doug Rohde
Carnegie Mellon University