New Book : Theoretical Neuroscience

Peter Dayan dayan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 15:22:27 EST 2001

Larry Abbott and I would like to announce our new book:

		      Theoretical Neuroscience
      Computational and Mathematical Modeling of Neural Systems
		     Peter Dayan and L. F. Abbott

For more information, please visit http://people.brandeis.edu/~abbott/book

Theoretical neuroscience provides a quantitative basis for describing what
nervous systems do, determining how they function, and uncovering the
general principles by which they operate. This text introduces the basic
mathematical and computational methods of theoretical neuroscience and
presents applications in a variety of areas including vision, sensory-motor
integration, development, learning, and memory.

The book is divided into three parts. Part I discusses the relationship
between sensory stimuli and neural responses, focusing on the
representation of information by the spiking activity of neurons. Part II
discusses the modeling of neurons and neural circuits on the basis of
cellular and synaptic biophysics. Part III analyzes the role of plasticity
in development and learning. An appendix covers the mathematical methods
used, and exercises are available on the book's Web site.

Peter Dayan is on the faculty of the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit
at University College London. L. F. Abbott is the Nancy Lurie Marks
Professor of Neuroscience and Director of the Volen Center for Complex
Systems at Brandeis University. He is the coeditor of Neural Codes and
Distributed Representations (MIT Press, 1999).

7 x 9, 476 pp., 165 illus.
cloth ISBN 0-262-04199-5