improving the review process

James M. Bower jbower at bbb.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 4 12:39:00 EST 2001

I am currently writing a book on the state of modern biological
research, comparing that state to the development of physics in the
16th and 17th centuries.  In the book I am using examples from paper
and grant reviews we have received to support the proposition that
biology is essentially a folkloric pre-paradigmatic science that
needs to develop a sold, quantitative foundation to move forward as a
real science.

For that reason, I have spent quite a bit of time recently looking
through old reviews of our papers.  The remarkable thing about those
reviews is that there is typically very little criticism of the
methods or results sections, but instead the focus is almost always
on the discussion.  My favorite quote from one of our reviews (and in
fact, the source for the title of the forthcoming book), is "I have
no more concerns about the methods or results, but  I am deeply
concerned about what would happen if a graduate student read the
discussion".

Accordingly, I think that the quality and usefulness of the review
process would be greatly improved if the discussion section was
excluded, and not even sent to reviewers.  In my view, the discussion
section should provide an author free reign to consider the
implications of their work in their own words, unfettered by what is
all to often a kind of thought censorship or, in effect, demand for
patronage.  Professional expertise is necessary to assure that a
paper has no methodological flaws, and that the results are not
overstated or overdrawn.  But the discussion is the reward that an
author should get for having pulled off the former two.  How much
more interesting and revealing would the scientific literature be if
authors felt free to express their real opinions, and heavens forbid,
even speculate once in a while?

I should mention one other theme in the book that is relevant to much
of this discussion.  "Modern" scientific journal publishing was
actually invented in the 17th century as a means of providing general
communication between a new age of physicists.  (it is also believed
that Newton was interested in controlling who said what).  The
important point for this discussion is that a 10 page paper is
sufficient space to describe a new approach to understanding
planetary motion, but it is not, in my opinion, even close to
sufficient to present a theory appropriate for understanding biology.
Just at the Transactions of the Royal Society promoted the
development of a common quantitative base for physics, a new form of
publication is now necessary to establish such a base for biology and
other complex systems.

On that - stay tuned....

Jim Bower
--
            ***************************************
                        James M. Bower Ph.D.

                      Research Imaging Center
       University of Texas Health Science Center - San Antonio

                            and

                Cajal Neuroscience Research Center
                 University of Texas - San Antonio

                       (626) 791-9615