Parallel Paper Submission: Separate Refereeing and Editorial processes

Bob Damper rid at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 07:37:33 EST 2001

.. but it's not uncommon for journals to send submissions straight out to
graduate students, short-circuiting the advisor/supervisor.  Sometimes,
graduate students will ask the advice of their supervisor about how to
approach the review, but not always.

The reason students get asked to do such an important task when they
``lack the knowledge and wisdom to provide a fair review of novel ideas'',
to use Rob's words, is that journals are generally struggling to get
enough reviewers.  Editors and editorial assistants don't always know who
is who in the field, especially if the journal has a wide remit.  If a
grad student has recently published something relevant and it comes to
the attention of an editor seeking a reviewer, then they become fair game.

This shortage of good qualified referees is going to continue all the
time there is no tangible reward (other than a warm altruistic feeling)
for the onerous task of reviewing.  So, as many others have pointed
out, parallel submissions will exacerbate this situation rather than
improve it.  Not a good idea!

Bob.