Call for Applications: PostDoctoral Research Scientists

Russ Greiner greiner at cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 13 21:15:52 EDT 2001

         POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH SCIENTISTS
         Call for Applications

  Bioinformatics - Query Answering - Game Playing - Adaptive Agents
  Machine Learning - Probabilistic Modelling - Decision Support

Just got your PhD and want to focus on pure curiosity-driven research
before jumping into the tenure-track pressure cooker?

We are looking for one or more postdoctoral research scientists (PDRS),
to help us work on theoretical and applied research in various specific
research projects -- related to the topics listed above and with the
individual researchers below, in collaboration with various research-friendly
companies, including
   BioTools, Chenomx, Electronic Arts, CELcorp, net-linx, Syncrude, ...

These PostDoc positions improve on most positions as...

 * The salary will be competitive with tenure-track positions.

 * You will also be allowed/expected to spend 50% of your time on your own
   curiousity-driven agenda -- we hope in collaboration with various members
   of our faculty; see  http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~ai.

You will be part of a team that has recently emerged as one of the
strongest AI groups anywhere, with a number of world-class professors
that include editors-in-chief of major journals, AAAI Fellows,
Steacie Fellows, McCalla Fellows ...  And we are continuing to grow and
improve.  Moreover, our department is known for its collegiality.

You will also help us show off our group in 2002, when we will host
   AAAI'02 http://aaai.org
   KDD'02  http://www.acm.org/sigkdd
   ISMB'02 http://www.iscb.org

Applicants should
   * have a solid background in one or more of the areas described above
   * have good scientific skills
   * be good at writing software to implement and evaluate algorithms

Successful applicants will have the opportunity to do sessional teaching in
the department of Computing Science.

Applicants should EMAIL a CV, the email addresses of 3 references, and
a short description of their research interests and goals as a postdoc
(ascii format, < 500 words) to
   Russ Greiner  (greiner at cs.ualberta.ca)
You are encouraged to *also* post additional information on
   http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/jobs/postdoc.html

We are very flexible with time commitments; applicants should indicate
how long they would like to remain as a PDRS -- typical stay is between
1 and 3 years.

We are an equal opportunity employer, eagerly seeking applicants from
Canada or any other country.

For more information, see
   http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~greiner/PostDoc.html

| R Greiner			Phone:    (780) 492-5461            |
| Dep't of Computing Science	FAX:      (780) 492-1071            |
| University of Alberta		Email:	  greiner at cs.ualberta.ca    |
| Edmonton, AB T6G 2E8 Canada	http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~greiner/ |