JAIR article, "Variational Probabilistic Inference..."

Steve Minton jairmail at ISI.EDU
Mon May 17 18:26:19 EDT 1999

JAIR is pleased to announce the publication of the following article,
which may be of interest to readers of this mailing list:

Jaakkola, T.S. and Jordan, M.I. (1999)
  "Variational Probabilistic Inference and the QMR-DT Network",
   Volume 10, pages 291-322.

   Available in HTML, PDF, PostScript and compressed PostScript.
   For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
     http://www.jair.org/abstracts/jaakkola99a.html
   More detailed instructions are below.

   Abstract: We describe a variational approximation method for efficient
   inference in large-scale probabilistic models.  Variational methods
   are deterministic procedures that provide approximations to marginal
   and conditional probabilities of interest.  They provide alternatives
   to approximate inference methods based on stochastic sampling or
   search.  We describe a variational approach to the problem of
   diagnostic inference in the `Quick Medical Reference' (QMR) network.
   The QMR network is a large-scale probabilistic graphical model built
   on statistical and expert knowledge.  Exact probabilistic inference is
   infeasible in this model for all but a small set of cases.  We
   evaluate our variational inference algorithm on a large set of
   diagnostic test cases, comparing the algorithm to a state-of-the-art
   stochastic sampling method.

The article is available via:

 -- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

 -- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
       http://www.jair.org/
    For direct access to this article and related files try:
       http://www.jair.org/abstracts/jaakkola99a.html

 -- Anonymous FTP from either of the two sites below.

    Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
	ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume10/jaakkola99a.ps
    The University of Genoa (Italy):
	ftp://ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it/pub/jair/pub/volume10/jaakkola99a.ps

    The compressed PostScript file is named jaakkola99a.ps.Z (249K)

 -- automated email. Send mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu or jair at ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it
    with the subject AUTORESPOND and our automailer will respond. To
    get the Postscript file, use the message body GET volume10/jaakkola99a.ps
    (Note: Your mailer might find this file too large to handle.)
    Only one can file be requested in each message.

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or
send electronic mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu with the subject AUTORESPOND
and the message body HELP, or contact jair-ed at ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.