No subject

Partha Mitra mitra at its.caltech.edu
Tue May 4 02:38:27 EDT 1999

Workshop on Analysis of Neural Data

Modern methods and open issues in the analysis
and interpretation of time-series and imaging
data in the neurosciences

>> 16 August - 28 August 1999
>> Marine Biological Laboratories - Woods Hole, MA

A working group of scientists committed to
quantitative approaches to problems in neuroscience
will focus their efforts on experimental and
theoretical issues related to the analysis of large,
multi-channel data sets.

The motivation for the work group is based on issues
that arise in two complimentary areas critical to an
understanding of brain function. The first involves
advanced signal processing methods, particularly
those appropriate for emerging multi-site recording
techniques and noninvasive imaging techniques. The
second involves the development of a calculus to
study the dynamical behavior of nervous systems and
the computations they perform.

A distinguishing feature of the work group will be
the close collaboration between experimentalists and
theorists, particularly with regard to the analysis
of data and the planning of experiments. The work
group will have a small number of pedagogical
lectures, supplemented by tutorials on relevant
computational and mathematical techniques.

This work group is a means to critically evaluate
techniques for the processing of multi-channel data,
of which imaging forms an important category. Such
techniques are of fundamental importance for basic
research and medical diagnostics. We have begun to
establish a repository of these techniques
to insure the rapidly dissemination of modern
analytical techniques throughout the neuroscience
community.

The work group convenes on a yearly basis.  In 1999, we
will continue to focus on topics in the analysis of
multivariate time series data, consisting of both
continuous and point processes. In addition, we will
have two specialized programs on neuronal instrumentation:

* 21 August 1999 - Multisite recording of extracellular
cortical potentials with Si-based probes.  This is offered
in collaboration with the Center for Neural Communication
Technology at the University of Michigan.
* 26 August 1999 - A comparison of analysis techniques
for fMRI data.

Participants: Twenty five participants, both
experimentalists and theorists. Experimentalists are
specifically encouraged to bring data records to the
work group; appropriate computational facilities will
be provided. The work group will further take
advantage of interested investigators concurrently
present at the MBL. We encourage
graduate students and postdoctoral fellows as well
as senior researchers to apply.

Participant Fee: $250.

Support: National Institutes of Health -
NIMH, NIA, NIAAA, NICHD/NCRR, NIDCD, NIDA, and NINDS.

Organizers: David Kleinfeld (UCSD) and
            Partha P. Mitra (Bell Laboratories).

Website: http://www.vis.caltech.edu/~WAND

Application: Send a copy of your curriculum vita,
together with a cover letter that contains a brief
(ca. 200 word) paragraph on why you wish to attend
the work group to:

  Ms. Jean B. Ainge
  Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
  700 Mountain Avenue 1D-427
  Murray Hill, NJ 07974
  908-582-4702 (fax) or <jba at bell-labs.com>

The MBL is an EEO AAI.

Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are
encouraged to include a letter of support from
their research advisor.

Shared accomodations and board will be provided.

  Applications must be received by 21 May 1999.
  Participants will be notified by 7 June 1999.

The Archives for Neurosciences can be found at:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/archive/neuro-sys