Paper: ... Exponential Modifications to Black-Scholes

Lester Ingber ingber at ingber.com
Fri Mar 26 12:35:32 EST 1999

The PostScript paper http://www.ingber.com/markets99_exp.ps.Z also can
be retrieved uncompressed for awhile as
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ingber/markets99_exp.ps

          %A L. Ingber
          %A J.K. Wilson
          %R Statistical Mechanics of Financial Markets:
             Exponential Modifications to Black-Scholes
          %I DRW Investments LLC
          %C Chicago, IL
          %D 1999
          %O URL http://www.ingber.com/markets99_exp.ps.Z
                 http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ingber/markets99_exp.ps

	The Black-Scholes theory of option pricing has been considered
	for many years as an important but very approximate
	zeroth-order description of actual market behavior.  We
	generalize the functional form of the diffusion of these
	systems and also consider multi-factor models including
	stochastic volatility.  We use a previous development of a
	statistical mechanics of financial markets to model these
	issues.  Daily Eurodollar futures prices and implied
	volatilities are fit to determine exponents of functional
	behavior of diffusions using methods of  global optimization,
	Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA), to generate tight fits
	across moving time windows of Eurodollar contracts.  These
	short-time fitted distributions are then developed into
	long-time distributions using a robust non-Monte Carlo
	path-integral algorithm, PATHINT, to generate prices and
	derivatives commonly used by option traders.  The results of
	our study show that there is only a very small change in at-the
	money option prices for different probability distributions,
	both for the one-factor and two-factor models.  There still are
	significant differences in risk parameters, partial
	derivatives, using more sophisticated models, especially for
	out-of-the-money options.

                Instructions for Retrieval of Code and Reprints

                        Interactively Via WWW

The archive can be accessed via WWW path
        http://www.ingber.com/
        http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ingber/
where the last address is a mirror homepage for the full archive.

                        Interactively Via Anonymous FTP

Code and reprints can be retrieved via anonymous ftp from
ftp.ingber.com.  Interactively [brackets signify machine prompts]:
        [your_machine%] ftp ftp.ingber.com
        [Name (...):] anonymous
        [Password:] your_e-mail_address
        [ftp>] binary
        [ftp>] ls
        [ftp>] get file_of_interest
        [ftp>] quit

The 00index file contains an index of the other files.  Files have the
same WWW and FTP paths under the main / directory; e.g.,
http://www.ingber.com/MISC.DIR/00index_misc and
ftp://ftp.ingber.com/MISC.DIR/00index_misc reference the same file.

                        Electronic Mail

If you do not have WWW or FTP access, get the Guide to Offline Internet
Access, returned by sending an e-mail to mail-server at rtfm.mit.edu with
only the words
        send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email
in the body of the message.  The guide gives information on using
e-mail to access just about all InterNet information and documents.

                        Additional Information

Limited help assisting people with queries on my codes and papers is
available only by electronic mail correspondence.  Sorry, I cannot mail
out hardcopies of code or papers.

Lester <ingber at ingber.com>

 /* Lester Ingber      http://www.ingber.com/       ftp://ftp.ingber.com *
  * ingber at ingber.com  ingber at alumni.caltech.edu   ingber at drwtrading.com *
  * PO Box 06440       Wacker Dr PO  Sears Tower   Chicago IL 60606-0440 */