A tech report on transfer of solutions across multiple RL tasks

Dan Bernstein bern at cs.umass.edu
Fri Apr 9 17:33:18 EDT 1999

Anouncing a technical report related to solving multiple RL tasks:

http://www-anw.cs.umass.edu/~bern/publications/reuse_tech.ps
                       Daniel S. Bernstein
                      Adaptive Networks Lab
                  Department of Computer Science
               University of Massachusetts, Amherst
                          TR-1999-26
                          April, 1999

We consider the reuse of policies for previous MDPs in learning on a
new MDP, under the assumption that the vector of parameters of each
MDP is drawn from a fixed probability distribution.  We use the
options framework, in which an option consists of a set of initiation
states, a policy, and a termination condition.  We use an option
called a \emph{reuse option}, for which the set of initiation states
is the set of all states, the policy is a combination of policies from
the old MDPs, and the termination condition is based on the number of
time steps since the option was initiated.  Given policies for $m$ of
the MDPs from the distribution, we construct reuse options from the
policies and compare performance on an $m+1$st MDP both with and
without various reuse options.  We find that reuse options can speed
initial learning of the $m+1$st task.  We also present a distribution
of MDPs for which reuse options can slow initial learning.  We discuss
reasons for this and suggest other ways to design reuse options.

options, learning to learn

Daniel S. Bernstein                 URL: http://www-anw.cs.umass.edu/~bern
Department of Computer Science      EMAIL: bern at cs.umass.edu
University of Massachusetts         PHONE: (413)545-1596 [office]
Amherst, MA 01003