CFP: ESANN'99 European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks

ESANN esann at dice.ucl.ac.be
Tue Sep 22 12:57:19 EDT 1998

|                     ESANN'99                     |
|              7th European Symposium              |
|           on Artificial Neural Networks          |
|      Bruges (Belgium) - April 21-22-23, 1999     |
|      First announcement and call for papers      |

The call for papers for the ESANN 99 conference is now available on the Web:
       http://www.dice.ucl.ac.be/esann
For those of you who maintain WWW pages including lists of related ANN
sites: we would appreciate if you could add the above URL to your list;
thank you very much!

We try as much as possible to avoid multiple sendings of this call for
papers; however please apologize if you receive this e-mail twice, despite
our precautions.

You will find below a short version of this call for papers, without the
instructions to authors (available on the Web).  If you have difficulties
to connect to the Web please send an e-mail to
        esann at dice.ucl.ac.be
and we will send you a full version of the call for papers.

ESANN'99 is organised in collaboration with the UCL (Universite catholique
de Louvain, Louvain-la-Neuve) and the KULeuven (Katholiek Universiteit
Leuven), and is technically co-sponsored by the IEEE Neural Networks
Council, the IEEE Region 8, the IEEE Benelux section, and the INNS
(International Neural Networks Society).

Scope and topics
----------------

The aim of the ESANN series of conference is to provide an annual European
forum for the presentation and discussion of recent advances in artificial
neural networks.  ESANN focuses on fundamental aspects of ANNs: theory,
models, learning algorithms, mathematical aspects, approximation of
functions, classification, control, time-series prediction, statistics,
signal processing, vision, self-organization, vector quantization,
evolutive learning, psychological computations, biological plausibility,
etc.  Papers on links and comparisons between ANNs and other domains of
research (such as statistics, data analysis, signal processing, biology,
psychology, evolutive learning, bio-inspired systems, etc.) are also
encouraged.

Papers will be presented orally (no parallel sessions) and in poster
sessions; all posters will be complemented by a short oral presentation
during a plenary session. It is important to mention that it is the topics
of the paper which will decide if it better fits into an oral or a poster
session, not its quality. The quality of posters will be the same as the
quality of oral presentations, and both will be printed in the same way in
the proceedings. Nevertheless, authors have the choice to indicate on the
author submission form that they only accept to present their paper orally.

The following is a non-exhaustive list of topics which will be covered
during ESANN'99:
o theory
o models and architectures
o mathematics
o learning algorithms
o vector quantization
o self-organization
o RBF networks
o Bayesian classification
o recurrent networks
o approximation of functions
o time series forecasting
o adaptive control
o statistical data analysis
o independent component analysis
o signal processing
o natural and artificial vision
o cellular neural networks
o fuzzy neural networks
o hybrid networks
o identification of non-linear dynamic systems
o biologically plausible artificial networks
o bio-inspired systems
o formal models of biological phenomena
o neurobiological systems
o cognitive psychology
o adaptive behavior
o evolutive learning

Special sessions
----------------

Special sessions will be organised by renowned scientists in their
respective fields. Papers submitted to these sessions are reviewed
according to the same rules as any other submission. Authors who submit
papers to one of these sessions are invited to mention it on the author
submission form; nevertheless, submissions to the special sessions must
follow the same format, instructions and deadlines as any other submission,
and must be sent to the same address.

The special sessions organized during ESANN'99 are:
o      Information extraction using unsupervised neural networks
       Colin Fyfe, Univ. of Paisley (UK).
o      Spiking neurons
       Wulfram Gerstner, E.P.F. Lausanne (Switzerland).
o      Adaptive computation of structured information
       Marco Gori, Univ. di Siena (Italy)
o      Remote sensing spectral image analysis
       Erzsebet Merenyi, Univ. of Arizona (USA)
o      Large-scale recognition of sequential patterns
       Yves Moreau, K.U. Leuven (Belgium)
o      Support Vector Machines
       S. Canu, INSIA Rouen (France)
       Bernhard Schoelkopf, GMD FIRST Berlin (Germany)

Location
--------

The conference will be held in Bruges (also called "Venice of the North"),
one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Europe.  Bruges can be reached
by train from Brussels in less than one hour (frequent trains).  The town
of Bruges is world-wide known, and famous for its architectural style, its
canals, and its pleasant atmosphere.

The conference will be organised in an hotel located near the centre
(walking distance) of the town. There is no obligation for the participants
to stay in this hotel. Hotels of all level of comfort and price are
available in Bruges; there is a possibility to book a room in the hotel of
the conference, or in another one (50 m. from the first one) at a
preferential rate through the conference secretariat. A list of other
smaller hotels is also available.

The conference will be held at the Novotel hotel, Katelijnestraat 65B, 8000
Brugge, Belgium.

Call for contributions
----------------------

Prospective authors are invited to submit
- six original copies of their manuscript (including at least two originals
or very good copies without glued material, which will be used for the
proceedings)
- one signed copy of the author submission form
before December 7, 1998.  While this is not mandatory, authors are
encouraged to join a floppy disk or CD with their contribution in (generic)
PostScript or (preferred) PDF format. Sorry, electronic or fax submissions
are not accepted.

Working language of the conference (including proceedings) is English.  The
instructions to authors, together with the author submission form, are
available on the ESANN Web server:
       http://www.dice.ucl.ac.be/esann
A printed version of these documents is also available through the
conference secretariat (please use email if possible).  Authors are invited
to follow the instructions to authors.  A LaTeX style file is also
available on the Web.

Authors must indicate their choice for oral or poster presentation on the
author submission form.  They must also sign a written agreement that they
will register to the conference and present the paper in case of
acceptation of their submission.  Authors of accepted papers will have to
register before February 28, 1999.  They will benefit from the advance
registration fee.

Submissions must be sent to:
       Michel Verleysen
       UCL - DICE
       3, place du Levant
       B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
       Belgium
       esann at dice.ucl.ac.be
All submissions will be acknowledged by fax or email before December 15, 1998.

Deadlines
---------
Submission of papers        December 7, 1998
Notification of acceptance  January 31, 1999
Symposium                   April 21-22-23, 1999

Registration fees
-----------------
              registration before         registration after
              February 28, 1999           February 28, 1999
Universities  BEF 15500                   BEF 16500
Industries    BEF 19500                   BEF 20500
The registration fee include the attendance to all sessions, the lunches
during the three days of the conference, the coffee breaks twice a day, the
conference dinner, and the proceedings.

Conference secretariat
----------------------
       Michel Verleysen
       D facto conference services       phone: + 32 2 420 37 57
       27 rue du Laekenveld              Fax: + 32 2 420 02 55
       B - 1080 Brussels (Belgium)       E-mail: esann at dice.ucl.ac.be
                     http://www.dice.ucl.ac.be/esann

Steering and local committee
----------------------------

François Blayo       Univ. Paris I (F)
Marie Cottrell       Univ. Paris I (F)
Jeanny Herault       INPG Grenoble (F)
Henri Leich          Fac. Polytech. Mons (B)
Bernard Manderick    Vrije Univ. Brussel (B)
Eric Noldus          Univ. Gent (B)
Jean-Pierre Peters   FUNDP Namur (B)
Joos Vandewalle      KUL Leuven (B)
Michel Verleysen     UCL Louvain-la-Neuve (B)

Scientific committee (to be confirmed)
--------------------

Edoardo Amaldi       Cornell Univ. (USA)
Agnes Babloyantz     Univ. Libre Bruxelles (B)
Herve Bourlard       IDIAP Martigny (CH)
Joan Cabestany       Univ. Polit. de Catalunya (E)
Holk Cruse           Universitat Bielefeld (D)
Eric de Bodt         Univ. Lille II (F) & UCL Louvain-la-Neuve (B)
Dante Del Corso      Politecnico di Torino (I)
Wlodek Duch          Nicholas Copernicus Univ. (PL)
Marc Duranton        Philips / LEP (F)
Jean-Claude Fort     Universite Nancy I (F)
Bernd Fritzke        Ruhr-Universitat Bochum (D)
Stan Gielen          Univ. of Nijmegen (NL)
Manuel Grana         UPV San Sebastian (E)
Anne Guerin-Dugue    INPG Grenoble (F)
Martin Hasler        EPFL Lausanne (CH)
Laurent Herault      CEA Grenoble (F)
Christian Jutten     INPG Grenoble (F)
Juha Karhunen        Helsinky Uniersity of Technology (FIN)
Vera Kurkova         Acad. of Science of the Czech Rep. (CZ)
Petr Lansky          Acad. of Science of the Czech Rep. (CZ)
Mia Loccufier        Univ. Gent (B)
Hans-Peter Mallot    Max-Planck Institut (D)
Eddy Mayoraz         IDIAP Martigny (CH)
Jean Arcady Meyer    Univ. Pierre & Marie Curie (F)
Jose Mira Mira       UNED (E)
Jean-Pierre Nadal    Ecole Normale Superieure Paris (F)
Gilles Pages         Universite Paris VI (F)
Thomas Parisini      University of Trieste (I)
Helene Paugam-Moisy  Univ. Lumiere Lyon 2 (F)
Alberto Prieto       Universitad de Granada (E)
Leonardo Reyneri     Politecnico di Torino (I)
Tamas Roska          Hungarian Academy of Science (H)
Jean-Pierre Rospars  INRA Versailles (F)
John Stonham         Brunel University (UK)
Johan Suykens        KUL Leuven (B)
John Taylor          King's College London (UK)
Claude Touzet        CESAR ONRL Oak Ridge (USA)
Marc Van Hulle       KUL Leuven (B)
Christian Wellekens  Eurecom Sophia-Antipolis (F)

==========================ESANN - European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks
http://www.dice.ucl.ac.be/esann

* For submissions of papers, reviews,...
Michel Verleysen
Univ. Cath. de Louvain - Microelectronics Laboratory
3, pl. du Levant - B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve - Belgium
tel: +32 10 47 25 51 - fax: + 32 10 47 25 98
mailto:esann at dice.ucl.ac.be

* Conference secretariat
D facto conference services
45 rue Masui - B-1000 Brussels - Belgium
tel: + 32 2 203 43 63 - fax: + 32 2 203 42 94
mailto:esann at dice.ucl.ac.be