nn and neuroscience

James M. Bower jbower at bbb.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 14 20:11:57 EDT 1998

I should probably say, to somewhat temper my earlier email, that the one
area where NNs and neuroscience HAVE interacted in a more direct and
potentially useful way, is in the general area of thinking about memory
storage.  This includes not only the work on the hippocampus being
discussed at present in this mail group, but also the work of Mike Hasselmo
on neuromodulation of olfactory and hippocampal networks.

However, the vast majority of those in NNs have little direct interest in
the details of brain function -- accordingly, it is not particularly
surprising that much of the work is not particularly related to this
subject.

Jim Bower