faculty positions

Sue Becker becker at curie.psychology.mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 5 21:38:24 EDT 1998

Dear connectionists,

There are a number of open faculty positions at McMaster University which
may interest you or your colleagues. Please feel free to pass this message
on or post to other sites.

Position in Psychology:
Appended to the bottom of this message is an advertisement for a
faculty position in the Department of Psychology at McMaster University,
targeting Cognitive Psychology or Animal Behaviour. Computational modellers
whose research intersects with the study of brain and behaviour are
encouraged to apply. Please drop me a note if you plan on applying.

Positions in Computer Science and Software Engineering:
The Department of Computing and Software at McMaster also has a number of
open positions. Several areas are being targeted but all outstanding
applicants will be considered. See http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca
This department has recently moved into the Faculty of Engineering and
is expanding rapidly.

Positions in Electrical Engineering:
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is also expanding
rapidly, with information technology having been designated a priority
area at McMaster. This department is presently targeting the areas of
signal processing, computer networking and VLSI. For further details, see
http://ece.mcmaster.ca/job_ft2.htm

McMaster University is the first, and to our knowledge, the only
university to offer an Honours Degree in Neural Computation. It is by many
standards Canada's most research-intensive university - financial support
from governments, foundations and business for our research projects is,
on a per capita basis, the highest in the country. We have been recognized
for several years as Canada's most innovative university.  McMaster's
Psychology Department is considered by many to be the best in Canada - for
example, it ranks highest in the country in terms of publications per
faculty member.

Sincerely,
Sue Becker, Associate Professor
Dept. of Psychology

			     FACULTY POSITION IN
		    COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY/ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR

The Department of Psychology at McMaster University invites applications
from candidates eligible to be sponsored for a Natural Sciences
and Engineering Research Council University Faculty Award (UFA),
an award that is directed toward women.  We plan to sponsor an
application for a UFA, and will offer the successful applicant a
tenure track position at the level of Assistant Professor.  The
duration of the UFA, 3 years initially with a possibility of renewal
for a further 2 years, will count toward the normal probationary
period for tenure.  We are seeking candidates with an active research
program in either animal behaviour or cognitive psychology.  Preference
for the cognition opening is for someone with an interest in memory
or decision making, and whose research program extends to
neuroscience/neuropsychology domains.  Applications are encouraged from
all qualified candidates, including aboriginal peoples, persons with
disabilities, and members of visible minorities.  Interested candidates
should consult the eligibility criteria for the UFA on the NSERC website:
http://www.nserc.ca/programs/sf/UFA_e.  To apply, send a curriculum
vitae, a short statement of research interests, a publication list
with selected reprints, and three letters of reference to:
Dr. Bruce Milliken, Department of Psychology, McMaster University,
Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA L8S 4K1.  Closing date for applications
and supporting material is November 15, 1998.