Technical report available

M.J.J. Scott mjjs at eng.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 2 07:22:37 EDT 1998

The following technical report is available by anonymous ftp from the
archive of the Speech, Vision and Robotics Group at the Cambridge
University Engineering Department.

The authors would welcome comments on this report.

			  Parcel:
		  feature subset selection
		  in variable cost domains

		M.J.J. Scott, M. Niranjan, R.W. Prager.

            Technical Report CUED/F-INFENG/TR.323

            Cambridge University Engineering Department
                        Trumpington Street
                        Cambridge CB2 1PZ
                             England

                             Abstract
The vast majority of classification systems are designed with a single
set of features, and optimised to a single specified cost. However, in
examples such as medical and financial risk modelling, costs are known
to vary subsequent to system design. In this paper, we present a design
method for feature selection in the presence of varying costs.

Starting from the Wilcoxon nonparametric statistic for the performance
of a classification system, we introduce a concept called the maximum
realisable receiver operating characteristic (MRROC), and prove a
related theorem. A novel criterion for feature selection, based on the
area under the MRROC curve, is then introduced. This leads to a
framework which we call Parcel. This has the flexibility to use
different combinations of features at different operating points on the
resulting MRROC curve. Empirical support for  each stage in our approach
is provided by experiments on real world problems, with Parcel achieving
superior results.

************************ How to obtain a copy ************************
a) http://svr-www.eng.cam.ac.uk/reports/abstracts/Scott_tr323.html

b) Via FTP:

unix> ftp svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk
Name: anonymous
Password: (type your email address)
ftp> cd reports
ftp> binary
ftp> get Scott_tr323.ps.gz
ftp> quit
unix> gunzip Scott_tr323.ps.gz
unix> lpr Scott_tr323.ps (or however you print PostScript)

c) Via postal mail:

Request a hardcopy from

Martin J.J. Scott,
Cambridge University Engineering Department,
Trumpington Street,
Cambridge CB2 1PZ,
England.

or email me: mjjs at eng.cam.ac.uk

--
Martin JJ Scott
Fallside Lab, Engineering Dept, Trumpington St.,