Paper and software available on-line

Christopher Bishop cmbishop at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 18 11:14:08 EST 1998

	                Paper and Software Available Online:

      A HIERARCHICAL LATENT VARIABLE MODEL FOR DATA VISUALIZATION

                                NCRG/96/028

           Christopher M. Bishop* and Michael E. Tipping#

                      * Microsoft Research
                 St. George House, 1 Guildhall Street
                      Cambridge CB2 3NH, U.K.

	         # Neural Computing Research Group
            Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, U.K.

    http://neural-server.aston.ac.uk/Papers/postscript/NCRG_96_028.ps.Z

Abstract:

Visualization has proven to be a powerful and widely-applicable tool
for the analysis and interpretation of multi-variate data. Most
visualization algorithms aim to find a projection from the data space
down to a two-dimensional visualization space. However, for complex
data sets living in a high-dimensional space it is unlikely that a
single two-dimensional projection can reveal all of the interesting
structure. We therefore introduce a hierarchical visualization
algorithm which allows the complete data set to be visualized at the
top level, with clusters and sub-clusters of data points visualized at
deeper levels. The algorithm is based on a hierarchical mixture of
latent variable models, whose parameters are estimated using the
expectation-maximization algorithm. We demonstrate the principle of
the approach on a toy data set, and we then apply the algorithm to the
visualization of a synthetic data set in 12 dimensions obtained from a
simulation of multi-phase flows in oil pipelines, and to data in 36
dimensions derived from satellite images. A Matlab(R) software
implementation of the algorithm is publicly available from the
world-wide web.

Paper:

   http://neural-server.aston.ac.uk/Papers/postscript/NCRG_96_028.ps.Z

Software:

   http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/PhiVis

Complete searchable database of publications:

   http://neural-server.aston.ac.uk/

----
Professor Christopher M. Bishop
Microsoft Research, Cambridge