What have neural networks achieved?

Yves Moreau Yves.Moreau at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Aug 20 11:59:56 EDT 1998

Dear Connectionnists,

I would like to point at the homepage of the European project SIENA, which has
reviewed applications of neural networks in Europe and presents a number of case
studies:
http://www.mbfys.kun.nl/snn/siena/cases/
http://www.augusta.co.uk/siena/

Yves Moreau

Department of Electrical Engineering
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Kardinaal Mercierlaan 94
B-3001 Leuven
Belgium
moreau at esat.kuleuven.ac.be

Case studies of successful applications
-------------------------

Benelux

      Prediction of Yarn Properties in Chemical Process Technology
      Current Prediction for Shipping Guidance in IJmuiden
      Recognition of Exploitable Oil and Gas Wells
      Modelling Market Dynamics in Food-, Durables- and Financial Markets
      Prediction of Newspaper Sales
      Production Planning for Client Specific Transformers
      Qualification of Shock-Tuning for Automobiles
      Diagnosis of Spot Welds
      Automatic Handwriting Recognition
      Automatic Sorting of Pot Plants

Spain/Portugal

      Fraud detection in credit card transactions
      Drinking Water Supply Management
      On-line Quality Modelling in Polymer Production
      Neural OCR Processing of Employment Demands
      Neural OCR Personnel Information Processing at Madrid's Delegacion
Provincial de Educacion
      Neural OCR Processing of Sales Orders
      Neural OCR Processing of Social Security Forms

Germany/Austria

      Predicting Sales of Articles in Supermarkets
      Automatic Quality Control System for Tile-making Works
      HERACLAS - Quality Assurance by "listening"
      Optimizing Facilities for Polymerization
      Quality Assurance and Increased Efficiency in Medical Projects
      Classification of Defects in Pipelines
      A New Method for Computer Assisted Prediciton of Lymphnode-Metastasis in
Gastric Cancer
      Alarm Identification with SENECA
      Facilities for Material-Specific Sorting and Selection
      Optimized Dryer-Regulation
      Application of Neural Networks for Evaluating the Reaction State of
Penicillin-Fermenters
      Substitution of Analysers in Distillation Columns
      Optical Positioning in Industrial Production
      Short-Term Load Forecast for German Power Utility
      Monitoring of Water Dam
      ZN-Face: Access Control Using Automated Face Recognition
      Control of Tempering Furnaces

France/Italy

      Helicopter Flight Data Analysis (HFDA)
      Neural Forecaster for On-line Load Profile Correction

UK/Scandinavia

      For more than 30 UK case studies we refer to the applications portfolio at
DTI's NeuroComputing Web