Connectionist symbol processing: any progress? LSA & HAL models

Curt Burgess curt at doumi.ucr.edu
Wed Aug 19 01:49:49 EDT 1998

> One of things that has recently renewed my interest in the
> idea of using distributed representations for processing
> complex information was finding out about Latent Semantic
> Analysis/Indexing (LSA/LSI) at NIPS*97.  LSA is a method
> for taking a large corpus of text and constructing vector

I think LSA is an important approach in this symbol processing debate.
A model similar in many ways to LSA is our Hyperspace Analogue to
Language (HAL) model of memory (also at NIPS*97 [workshops]). One
difference is that LSA (typically) is implemented in a matrix of word by
larger text unit dimensions. HAL is a word by word matrix. There are
other differences - one being how dimensionality is reduced.  One big
advantage of HAL and LSA is that they use learning procedures that scale
up to real world language problems and thus can use large corpora as
input.  It would be difficult to put 300 million words through a SRN the
number of times required for any learning to take place (!).  With global
co-occurrence models like HAL or LSA, this scalability isn't a problem.
HAL and LSA also use continuous valued vector representations which
results in very rich encoding of meaning.

We've addressed the scalability issue by comparing HAL's algorithm to a
SRN in a chapter available on my lab's web page
(http://locutus.ucr.edu/Reprints.html) - get the Burgess & Lund, 1998,
under review, document).  We show that the same input into a SRN and HAL
will get virtually identical output.  The beauty of this is that one can
use vector representations acquired in a global co-occurrence model in a
connectionist model knowing that these vectors are what would likely be
produced if they were learned via a connectionist methodology. In this
chapter we also address a variety of other related issues (what is
similarity? the symbol-grounding problem, the relationship between
associations and categorical knowledge, modularity and syntactic
constraints, developing asymmetric relationships between words, and, in a
limited way, using high-dimensional models to mimic higher-level
cognition). The chapter was written to be a little provocative.

There are 6 or 7 papers detailing the HAL model available as PDFs and
another 6 or 7 that you can order with the reprint order form. The latest
issue of Discourse Processes (edited by Peter Foltz) is a special issue
on quantitative approaches to language and is full of LSA and HAL papers.
 I will be editing a special journal issue that will have more HAL and
LSA papers (a followup to the high-dimensional semantic space symposium
at psychonomics last year).  At the SCiP (Society for Computers in
Psychology) conference in Nov (the day before Psychonomics), we will have
a symposium on high-dimensional semantic memory models and Tom Landauer
is giving the keynote talk (titled "How modern computation can turn
cognitive psychology into a real science" - I suspect also a little
provocative!). I gave the keynote at last years SCiP meeting and this is
available on our website and is in the last issue of BRMIC (Burgess, C.
(1998). From Simple Associations to the Building Blocks of Language:
Modeling Meaning in Memory with the HAL Model.  Behavior Research
Methods, Instruments, and Computers, 30, 188 - 198.). It's a good brief
introduction to the range of problems we've addressed.

The HAL and LSA work certainly are related to the "context vector"
research that Steve Gallant was talking about.

I guess that's enough...

Curt
---
   Dr. Curt Burgess, Computational Cognition Lab
   Department of Psychology, University of  California
   Riverside, CA 92521-0426  URL: http://locutus.ucr.edu/
   Internet: curt at cassandra.ucr.edu
   MaBellNet: (909) 787-2392       FAX: (909) 787-3985