What have neural networks achieved?

Sirosh, Joseph sirosh at hnc.com
Mon Aug 17 14:45:30 EDT 1998

Michael,

A significant commercial success of neural networks has been in credit card
fraud detection. The Falcon credit card fraud detection package, developed
by HNC Software Inc. of San Diego (http://www.hnc.com/), uses supervised
neural networks, covers over 260 million credit cards worldwide,  and
generates several tens of millions in annual revenue. Attached is a
corporate blurb that gives more info about HNC and some of its products.
There's more info on the company web page.

Sincerely,

Joseph Sirosh
Senior Staff Scientist
Exploratory R&D Group
HNC Software Inc.

=================================
Headquartered in San Diego, California, HNC Software Inc. (NASDAQ: HNCS) is
the leading vendor of computational intelligence software solutions for the
financial, insurance, and retail markets, and U.S. Government customers.
HNC Software and its subsidiaries - Risk Data Corporation, CompReview,
Aptex, and Retek - use advanced technologies such as neural networks,
context vector analysis, and expert rules to deliver powerful solutions for
complex pattern recognition and predictive modeling problems.  For the U.S.
Government, HNC has developed systems for content based text retrieval,
multimedia information retrieval, image understanding, and intelligent
agents.  For commercial markets, HNC is the leading supplier of credit card
fraud detection systems, with 23 of the 25 largest U.S. financial
institutions being HNC customers.  HNC also develops a broad spectrum of
additional products, including solutions for profitability analysis,
bankruptcy prediction, worker's compensation claims management, retail
information management, and database mining.  Since its founding in 1986,
HNC has grown along with its product offerings and, as of the end of fiscal
year 1997, had over 700 employees and revenues of $113 million.