Call for Tricks ;-)

Klaus-R. Mueller klaus at prosun.first.gmd.de
Mon Feb 10 13:22:12 EST 1997

        *              Call for Papers              *
        *            Tricks of the Trade            *

Dear Colleagues,

At the Nips*96 workshops we had a workshop called "Tricks of the
Trade: How to Make Algorithms Really Work".  As a follow-up to this
workshop, we are collecting papers for a "Book of Tricks" (this is
our working title), which will be tentatively published in the LNCS
State-of-the-Art Surveys series. We would like to invite you to
contribute.

What is a Trick?:

A technique, rule-of-thumb, or heuristic that
	* is easy to describe and understand
	* can make a real difference in practice
	* is not (yet) part of well documented technique
	* has broad application and may or may not (yet) have a
	  theoretical explanation.

Content and Format:

In order to keep everything focussed, we suggest the following main
topics of the book:

	1. architectural tricks
	2. sampling and data preprocessing
	3. speeding learning procedures
	4. improving generalization and optimization

To give consistency across papers, we would like there to be a
structural similarity in the contents which is based on the outline
we proposed for the talks:

	- intro/motivation
	- trick
	- where has it been tried and how well does it work?
	- why does it work?
	- possible theoretical explanation (if any),
	- heuristic explanation (if any) & discussion

For More Details:

Please look at the call for papers on our web site:
In the US:
http://www.willamette.edu/~gorr/tricks/guidelines.html
In Europe:
http://www.first.gmd.de/persons/Mueller.Klaus-Robert/CALL.html