Hertz Fellowships for graduate studies

Ken Miller ken at phy.ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 25 17:52:47 EDT 1996

[ Moderator's note:
   Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, and MIT are also on the list of
   approved schools for Hertz fellowships.  -- DST]

I wanted to bring to the attention of prospective and current
Ph.D. students something I just ran across, the Fannie and John Hertz
Foundation fellowship for studies in Applied Physical Sciences.  They
define applied physical sciences to explicitly include computational
neuroscience, artificial intelligence, and robotics.  The deadline is
quite soon -- Oct. 18.  It's a generous fellowship -- 5 yrs, stipend
of $20K per year.  Info is at
http://www.hertzfndn.org
Please don't ask me for more info about this fellowship -- go to the
foundation and/or its web page.

The fellowships are only tenable at a short list of eligible schools,
but applicants can also include in their application the desire that
other schools be added to that list.  In particular, three of the
existing schools with Sloan Centers for Theoretical Neurobiology --
Caltech, UCSD, and NYU -- are on the list, but the other two -- UCSF
and Brandeis -- are not.  As a member of the faculty at UCSF, I'd
certainly like to encourage applicants in computational neuroscience
to include UCSF and/or Brandeis on your list of desired schools and to
check us out in months to come.  More info on UCSF can be found at:

Neuroscience Program:  http://www.neuroscience.ucsf.edu/neuroscience/
Sloan Center:          http://www.sloan.ucsf.edu/sloan/

(links to Brandeis and the other Sloan centers can be found on our
Sloan page).

Ken

        Kenneth D. Miller               telephone: (415) 476-8217
        Dept. of Physiology		fax: (415) 476-4929
        UCSF                            internet: ken at phy.ucsf.edu
        513 Parnassus			www: http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~ken
        San Francisco, CA 94143-0444