Paper Announcements

Toru Aonishi aonishi at bpe.es.osaka-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 5 04:52:20 EDT 1996

                     *** Paper Announcements ***

The following two papers on analysis of the dynamic link architecture
are now available from my FTP site.

ftp://ftp.bpe.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/pub/FukushimaLab/Papers/aonishi

Comments/suggestions welcome,
-Toru Aonishi
(aonishi at bpe.es.osaka-u.ac.jp)

       A Phase Locking Theory of Matching between Rotated Images
                by a Dynamic Link Architecture
                    (Submitted to Neural Computation)

           Toru AONISHI, Koji KURATA and Takeshi MITO

Pattern recognition invariant to deformation or translation
can be performed with the dynamic link architecture proposed by von der Malsburg.
The dynamic link has been applied to some engineering examples efficiently,
but has not yet been analyzed mathematically.
We propose two models of the dynamic link architecture.
Both models are mathematically tractable.
The first model can perform matching between rotated images.
The second model can also do that, and can additionally detect
common parts in a template image and in a data image.
To analyze these models mathematically,
we reduce each model's equation to a phase equation, showing the mathematical
principle behind the rotating invariant matching process.
We also carry out computer simulations to verify the mathematical
theories involved.

FTP-host:       ftp.bpe.es.osaka-u.ac.jp
FTP-pathname:   /pub/FukushimaLab/Papers/aonishi/rotation_dy.ps.gz

30 pages; 238Kb compressed.

         Deformation Theory of Dynamic Link Architecture
              (Submitted to Neural Computation)

                Toru AONISHI, Koji KURATA

Dynamic link is a self-organizing topographic mapping formed between
a template image and a data image. The mapping tends to be continuous,
linking two points sharing similar local features,
which as a result, can lead to its deformation to some degree.
Analyzing this deformation mathematically,
we reduce the model equation to a phase equation,
which clarifies the principles of this deformation process,
the relation between high-dimensional models and low-dimensional ones.
It also elucidates the characteristics of the model in the context of
standard regularization theory.

FTP-host:       ftp.bpe.es.osaka-u.ac.jp
FTP-pathname:   /pub/FukushimaLab/Papers/aonishi/deform_dy.ps.gz

15 pages; 112Kb compressed.