Connectionist Learning - Some New Ideas

rao@cs.rochester.edu rao at cs.rochester.edu
Sat May 18 14:14:13 EDT 1996

>One loses about 100,000 cortical neurons a day (about a percent of
>the original number every three years) under normal conditions.

Does anyone have a concrete citation (a journal article) for this or
any other similar estimate regarding the daily cell death rate in the
cortex of a normal brain?  I've read such numbers in a number of
connectionist papers but none cite any neurophysiological studies that
substantiate these numbers.

Thanks,
Raj

Raj Rao                          Internet: rao at cs.rochester.edu
Dept. of Computer Science	 VOX:  (716) 275-2527
University of Rochester          FAX:  (716) 461-2018
Rochester  NY  14627-0226        WWW:  http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/rao/