TR announcement (IPF for conditionals)

Hermann Von Hasseln hermann at impa.br
Sun Mar 3 10:12:50 EST 1996

In connection with the recent announcement of Padhraic Smyth et al.
("Probabilistic Independence Networks For Hideen Markov Probability Models")
I'd like to announce the following technical report, which might be of
interest for you:

	AN IPF PROCEDURE FOR MIXED GRAPHICAL MODELS

	            Hermann von Hasseln
			    IMPA
         Instituto de Matem\'atica Pura e Aplicada
		   Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

			   Abstract

  We introduce a variant of the well--known iterative
  proportional fitting (IPF) procedure. Just as the traditional
  IPF procedure, which uses a given set of marginal probabilities
  as constraints that have to be satisfied in each iteration,
  we show that this also can be done with a given set of compatible
  conditional probabilities. In the case of compatible conditionals
  convergence is guaranteed by a theorem by Csisz\'ar. We also
  define a ``mixed'' version of IPF procedures, where the set of
  constraints is given by a mixed set of marginal and conditional
  probabilities.

  graphical models, maximum entropy, minimum discrimination
  information, conditionally specified distributions.

To obtain a copy of these papers, pl. send your email request to
hermann at impa.br

Comments are welcome.

Hermann von Hasseln