exact shift-invariance from position-independent weights

Kechen Zhang kzhang at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 1 01:49:34 EST 1996

People often do not realize that it is actually possible to get
shift-invariant responses from position-dependent
weight patterns.  The mechanism may seem counter-intuitive
at the first sight, but the shift-invariance can be rigorously true.

The story begins with the puzzling behaviors of the neurons in
the visual area MST of macaque monkeys.
For example, some neurons responded very well to a disk rotating
clockwise on a screen no matter where the center of the disk was
located.  The same neurons would be inhibited if the disk rotated
counterclockwise, once again, no matter where the disk was
located on the screen.  Of course, some other cells would prefer
counterclockwise rotations to clockwise ones, also in
a shift-invariant manner.  (The same is true for many
dilation/contraction neurons, and probably also for spiral neurons.)
Recall that MST is just the next processing stage after area MT,
where neurons respond typically to translational movements in a
comparatively small region (receptive field).

One might guess that some nonlinear, higher-order process is
underlying the phenomenon.  But brain has probably found a much
simpler and more elegant solution.  The plausible solution first
emerged in a computer simulation experiment by Marty and Margaret Sereno.
I helped to formalize their findings (hence this message).
Poggio and colleagues independently arrived at similar conclusion
via a different path.  In short, rigorously shift-invariant responses
can be obtained from a simple linear feedforward network whose weight
pattern is not shift-invariant at all.  The shift-invariance follows
from what Poggio et al. called the Green theorems and we called
the Gauss and Stokes theorems---all special cases of the general
Stokes theorem, which can transform an integral along a closed
curve into an integral over an area, and vice versa.
Because the learned weight pattern (considered vector field) has
a constant curl, the final response depend only on the area of
that rotating disk.

I think this is a nice example of a counter-intuitive
neural mechanism for exact shift-invariance.