Controversies at the Symposium of Computational Model of Development

Charles X. Ling ling at cs.hku.hk
Wed Jul 31 06:06:56 EDT 1996

The 1996 Cognitive Science Conference was held from June 12 to 15
in UC San Diego. During the Conference, Kim Plunkett and Tom Shultz
organized a symposium on Computational Models of Development,
with four speakers: Jeff Elman, Denis Mareschal, Tom Shultz, and me.
There were also two discussants, Jeff Shrager and Liz Bates.

The symposium spiked heated debates among speakers, discussants, and
audiences. Many good discussions were carried out after the Symposium.

I have put a personal account of the event, the transparencies of my
speech, and Jeff Shrager's commentary on my web page.

I am also setting up animations on how decision tree learning
algorithms learn quasi-regular associations, demonstrate graceful
degradation, and have graded effect of development. Please let me know
any comments you may have.

You can find all of the above at:

  http://www.cs.hku.hk/~ling

Cheers,