Regression and Classification course

Trevor Hastie trevor at mallet.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jan 19 20:15:56 EST 1996

************ SHORT COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT **********

      MODERN REGRESSION AND CLASSIFICATION

		May 9-10, 1996
	Stanford Park Hotel, Menlo Park

A two-day course on widely applicable statistical methods for
modelling and prediction, featuring

Professor Trevor Hastie    and   Professor Robert Tibshirani
Stanford University              University of Toronto

This two day course covers modern tools for statistical prediction and
classification. We start from square one, with a review of linear
techniques for regression and classification, and then take attendees
through a tour of:

 o  Flexible regression techniques
 o  Classification and regression trees
 o  Neural networks
 o  Projection pursuit regression
 o  Nearest Neighbor methods
 o  Learning vector quantization
 o  Wavelets
 o  Bootstrap and cross-validation

We will also illustrate software tools for implementing the methods.
Our objective is to provide attendees with the background and
knowledge necessary to apply these modern tools to solve their own
real-world problems. The course is geared for:

     o  Statisticians
     o  Financial analysts
     o  Industrial managers
     o  Medical and Quantitative  researchers
     o  Scientists
     o  others interested in  prediction and  classification
 Attendees should have an undergraduate degree in a quantitative field, or have knowledge and experience working in such a field.

For more details on the course, how to register, price etc:

   o point your web browser to:
        http://playfair.stanford.edu/~trevor/mrc.html
        OR send a request by
   o FAX to Prof. T. Hastie at (415) 326-0854, OR
   o email to trevor at playfair.stanford.edu