Paper available "Selection of examples for a linear classifier"

Georg Jung georgju at Physik.Uni-Wuerzburg.DE
Fri Jan 12 03:21:50 EST 1996

FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
FTP-filename:/pub/neuroprose/jung.selection_examples.ps.Z

The file jung.selection_examples.ps.Z is now available for
ftp from Neuroprose repository.

The same file (name: WUE-ITP-95-022.ps.gz) is available for
ftp from the preprint server of University Wurzburg
(ftp.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de)
filename: /pub/preprint/WUE-ITP-95-022.ps.gz

      Selection of examples for a linear Classifier (20 pages)

          Georg Jung and Manfred Opper
          Physikalisches Institut, Julius-Maximilians-Universit\"at
          Am Hubland, D-97074 W\"urzburg, Federal Republic of Germany,
          The Baskin Center for Computer Engineering \&
          Information Sciences, University of California, Santa Cruz
          CA 95064, USA

ABSTRACT:

We investigate the problem of selecting an informative subsample
out of a neural network's training data. Using the replica method of
statistical mechanics, we calculate the performance of a
heuristic selection algorithm for a linear neural network which avoids
overfitting.

Sorry, no hardcopies available

Comments are greatly appreciated.
|                                            |
| Georg Jung                                 |
|                                            |
|    Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter am       |
| am Lehrstuhl "Computational Physics" der   |
|                                            |
|     Julius-Maximilians-Universitaet        |
|    Fakultaet fuer Physik und Astronomie    |
|      Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg         |
  \    Arbeitsplatz:                           \
   \     Raum: E-222,                           \
    \    Telefon: 0931--888-4908                 \
     \   E-Mail: georgju at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de  \