paper available:Evolving non-trivial behaviors on real robots..

Stefano Nolfi stefano at kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it
Tue Apr 30 11:21:36 EDT 1996

Paper available via WWW / FTP:

          Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms.

              EVOLVING NON-TRIVIAL BEHAVIORS ON REAL ROBOTS:
                        A GARBAGE COLLECTING ROBOT

                                Stefano Nolfi
                     Institute of Psychology, C.N.R., Rome.

Recently,  a  new approach involving  a form of simulated evolution has  been
proposed to build autonomous robots.  However, it is still not clear  if this
approach  is  adequate  for  real  life problems.  In this paper we  show how
control  systems  that  perform  a  non-trivial sequence  of behaviors can be
obtained  with  this  methodology by "canalizing" the evolutionary process in
the right direction. In the experiment described in the paper, a mobile robot
was  successfully  trained  to  keep  clear  an  arena surrounded by walls by
locating, recognizing, and grasping "garbage" objects and by taking collected
objects  outside  the  arena. The  controller  of  the  robot  was evolved in
simulation  and  then  downloaded  and tested on the real robot. We also show
that  while  a  given  amount  of  supervision  may canalize the evolutionary
process  in  the  right direction the addition of unnecessary constraints can
delay the evolution of the desired behavior.

http://kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it/public.html
or
ftp-server: kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it (150.146.7.5)
ftp-file  : /pub/econets/nolfi.gripper2.ps.Z

for the homepage of our research group with most of our publications
available online and pointers to ALIFE resources see:
http://kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it/gral.html

Stefano Nolfi
Institute of Psychology, C.N.R.
Viale Marx, 15 - 00137 - Rome - Italy