What is a "hybrid" model?

Lev Goldfarb goldfarb at unb.ca
Fri Apr 5 10:25:10 EST 1996

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Steve Kemp wrote:

> learning.  If the distinction (that makes for the two types) is between
> gradual and sudden learning, then one-trial learning, while perhaps
> distinct from insight learning, seems to be sudden rather than gradual.
> That is, there are other non-gradual types of learning besides insight
> learning.

> In sum, my point is that it is difficult, if not impossible, to establish
> the existence or non-existence of genuinely different *types* of learning
> solely from behavioral phenomena, however augmented by theory or
> mathematics.

In view of this, why do then most of us ignore the scientific experience
of the last four centuries that strongly suggest the scientific parsimony
(in that case - one basic learning "mechanism")?
Are we ready (i.e. adequately "educated") to deal with the greatest
scientific challenge of cognitive science?

            Lev Goldfarb
                          Tel: 506-453-4566       Fax: 506-453-3566

http://wwwos2.cs.unb.ca/profs/goldfarb/goldfarb.htm