compressibility, Kolmogorov, learning

Jagota Arun Kumar jagota at ponder.csci.unt.edu
Thu Nov 23 15:22:51 EST 1995

A short addition to the ongoing discussion thread of Juergen, Barak, and
David:

The following short paper is what intrigued us (K. Regan and I) to
experimentally investigate the performance of algorithms on random versus
compressible (i.e., structured) instances of the maximum clique optimization
problem.

@article{LiV92,
       author = "Li, M. and P.M.B. Vitanyi",
        title = "Average case complexity under the universal distribution equals worst-case complexity",
        pages = "145--149",
      journal =  "Information Processing Letters",
       volume =  42,
       month  =  "May",
         year =  1992
  }

In other words, roughly speaking, if one samples uniformly from the universal
distribution, one exhibits worst-case behavior of an algorithm.

I announced our (experimental, max-clique) paper on Connectionists a few
months back, so won't do it again. However, this will be the subject of my
talk at the NIPS workshop on optimization (7:30--8:00, Dec 1, Vail). Stop
by and jump all over me.

Arun Jagota