Paper available: Learning to adapt to changing environments

stefano@kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it stefano at kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it
Mon Nov 20 13:15:32 EST 1995

Papers available via WWW / FTP:

          Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms,

   LEARNING TO ADAPT TO CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS IN EVOLVING NEURAL
                           NETWORKS

                 Stefano Nolfi & Domenico Parisi
              Institute of Psychology, C.N.R., Rome.

In order to study learning as an adaptive process it is necessary to
take into consideration  the  role of evolution which is the primary
adaptive  process.  In  addition,  learning  should  be  studied  in
(artificial)  organisms   that   live  in  an  independent  physical
environment  in  such  a  way  that  the  input from the environment
can be at least partially controlled by  the organisms' behavior. To
explore  these  issues  we  used a genetic algorithm to simulate the
evolution  of  a  population of neural networks each controlling the
behavior  of  a  small mobile robot that must explore efficiently an
environment  surrounded  by  walls.  Since  the  environment changes
from  one  generation  to  the  next  each network must learn during
its  life  to  adapt  to the particular environment it happens to be
born in. We found  that  evolved  networks incorporate a genetically
inherited predisposition  to learn that can be described as: (a) the
presence of initial conditions that tend to canalize learning in the
right directions; (b) the  tendency to behave in a way that enhances
the  perceived  differences  between   different   environments  and
determines input stimuli  that  facilitate  the learning of adaptive
changes, and (c) the ability to reach desirable stable states.

http://kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it/public.html
or
ftp-server: kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it (150.146.7.5)
ftp-file  : /pub/econets/nolfi.changing.ps.Z

for the homepage of our research group with most of our publications
available online and pointers to ALIFE resources see:
http://kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it/gral.html

Stefano Nolfi
Institute of Psychology
National Research Council