Paper on Amnesia Model

Jaap Murre jaap.murre at mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 26 11:44:06 EDT 1995

A new paper has been added to our ftp site:

Reference:

Murre, J.M.J. (submitted). A model of amnesia. Submitted to
        Psychological Review.

Abstract:
We present a model of amnesia (the TraceLink model) based on a
review of its neuropsychology, neuroanatomy, and connectionist
modelling. The model consists of three subsystems: (1) a trace
system, (2) a link system, and (3) a modulatory system. The
hippocampus is assigned a double role, being involved in both the
link system and the modulatory system. The model is able to account
for many of the characteristics of semantic dementia, retrograde
amnesia (AA) and anterograde amnesia (RA), including: Ribot
gradients, transient-global amnesia, patterns of shrinkage and
recovery from AA, correlations between AA and RA or the absence
thereof (e.g., in isolated RA). In addition we derive testable
predictions concerning implicit memory, forgetting gradients, and
neuroanatomy.

ftp://ftp.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk/pub/nn/murre/trclink.ps    (1253 Kb)
ftp://ftp.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk/pub/nn/murre/trclink.ps.Z  ( 406 Kb)
ftp://ftp.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk/pub/nn/murre/trclink.zip   ( 325 Kb)

N.B. There is a 10-user limit on our ftp-site. If you don't succeed
in connecting, please, try again later. (Normally, there should be
a message indicating that the limit has been exceeded.)

I am at moment moving to the University of Amsterdam. After 1 June
1995 my mail address will be: j.murre at psy.uva.nl. There may be a
delay in answering questions due to moving overhead.

        -- Jaap Murre           jaap.murre at mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk

Medical Research Council - Applied Psychology Unit, Cambridge
University of Amsterdam, Department of Psychonomics (after June 1)