Tech Report Available: EM algorithm

Michael Jordan jordan at psyche.mit.edu
Sun May 14 18:57:22 EDT 1995

FTP-host: psyche.mit.edu
FTP-file: pub/jordan/AIM-1520.ps.Z

The following paper is now available by anonymous ftp.

On Convergence Properties of the EM Algorithm for
Gaussian Mixtures (10 pages)

Lei Xu and Michael I. Jordan
CUHK and MIT

Abstract:

We build up the mathematical connection between the
``Expectation-Maximization'' (EM) algorithm and gradient-based
approaches for maximum likelihood learning of finite Gaussian
mixtures.  We show that the EM step in parameter space is
obtained from the gradient via a projection matrix $P$, and
we provide an explicit expression for the matrix.  We then
analyze the convergence of EM in terms of special properties
of $P$ and provide new results analyzing the effect that $P$
has on the likelihood surface.  Based on these mathematical
results, we present a comparative discussion of the advantages
and disadvantages of EM and other algorithms for the
learning of Gaussian mixture models.